Things You Should Know About Children's Eye Health
In these unique times, many children are using a computer far more than normal. It's important to protect your children's eyes from the effects of their screen use. The glare from a computer/phone screen can result in many of the following symptoms: eye dryness, grittiness, irritation, blurriness, headaches and many more.
One of the ways to protect your children's eyes is by using an anti-glare treatment to their spectacle lenses. This will help to eliminate a lot of the above symptoms and will make your child's vision much clearer and healthier!
Here are 10 tips to help protect your child’s eyes from computer eyestrain:
- Set a kitchen timer or a smart device timer to remind them.
- Alternate reading an e-book with a real book and encourage kids to look up and out the window every two chapters.
- After completing a level in a video game, look out the window for 20 seconds.
- Pre-mark books with a paperclip every few chapters to remind your child to look up. On an e-book, use the “bookmark” function for the same effect.
- Avoid using a computer outside or in brightly lit areas, as the glare on the screen can create strain.
- Adjust the brightness and contrast of your computer screen so that it feels comfortable to you.
- Use good posture when using a computer and when reading.
- Encourage your child to hold digital media farther away, 18 to 24 inches is ideal.
- Create a distraction that causes your child to look up every now and then.
- Remind them to blink when watching a screen.